A woman who went Mexico for liposuction died of complications from the procedure, her family has said.
Irma Saenz didn't tell anyone of her plans to travel from her home in Los Angeles to Tijuana at the end of October for liposuction.
So the 51-year-old's family members were shocked when they received a call from the hospital that there had been complications with the procedure and she was in a coma.
'We see TV shows where surgeries get botched but it's just something we didn't expect to experience first hand,' Irma's niece Nora told CBS LA.
Irma Saenz died on Tuesday after a botched liposuction procedure in Tijuana caused her to slip into a coma due to lack of oxygen to her brain
When her family arrived at the hospital in Tijuana, they said doctors told them that Irma would be fine and would come out of the coma on her own.
But after three days with no improvements, they had her transported back to the United States, to a hospital in San Diego.
There doctors put her on a ventilator, but eventually told her family that she'd slipped into the coma due to a lack of oxygen to her brain.
On Tuesday her family announced that after two weeks of battling for her life, Irma has died.
Irma's sister said that when they arrived at the hospital in Tijuana her face was so swollen they couldn't initially recognize her
They have said they want to know what exactly went wrong that put Irma in such a bad condition, but said they're having trouble getting any answers.
Irma's sister, Carmen Quintana, said that when they arrived at the hospital in Mexico, her sister's face was so swollen that they couldn't recognize her.
'It was very hard especially because you didn't recognize her because her face was very swollen and the only way to tell it was her was by her feet,' she explained.
Irma took full-time care of her 99-year-old mother, but still made time in her day to look nice, according to her niece.
'It's sad. The one time she did something for herself she paid a high price,' Nora said.
She said she thinks her aunt went to Mexico to save money because she couldn't afford the high prices that these procedures cost in the United States.
And the family is now warning other people not to do the same thing.
'It's not worth it. It wasn't worth it for my sister,' Carmen said.