Due to a scheduling quirk, the primary Sunday of the 2018 baseball season does now not function a complete 15-game slate. There are 12 video games at the agenda because of a doubleheader in Detroit and a rainout in Kansas Town. Six groups have a scheduled off-day Sunday. Bizarre! The Atlanta Braves are one of the most six, and as David Wellham of the Atlanta-Journal Constitution notes, that is the group’s first scheduled Sunday off-day since 1933. Huh.
Anyway, on this house this we will be able to stay you, the baseball fanatic, apprised of the entire day’s happenings across the baseball global, despite the fact that six groups are chilling out at house. You should definitely test again frequently for updates.
- Minnesota Twins 7, Baltimore Orioles zero (box score)
- Toronto Blue Jays 7, New York Yankees Four (box score)
- Boston Red Sox 2, Tampa Bay Rays 1 (box score)
- Miami Marlins 6, Chicago Cubs zero (box score)
- St. Louis Cardinals five, New York Mets 1 (box score)
- Pittsburgh Pirates 1, Detroit Tigers zero in Recreation 1 (box score)
- Houston Astros eight, Texas Rangers 2 (box score)
- Los Angeles Angels 7, Oakland Athletics Four (box score)
- Seattle Mariners five Cleveland Indians Four (box score)
- Washington Nationals 6, Cincinnati Reds five (box score)
- Pittsburgh Pirates at Detroit Tigers Recreation 2 (6:10 p.m. ET — GameTracker)
- San Francisco Giants at Los Angeles Dodgers (eight:37 p.m. ET — GameTracker)
- Chicago White Sox at Kansas City Royals (postponed, shall be made up all over April 28 doubleheader)
Ohtani makes first get started for Angels
Sunday afternoon, two-way sensation Shohei Ohtani took the mound for the Angels for the first actual time. He began at designated hitter Thursday, on Opening Day, and went 1 for five. Sunday was once his first pitching look.
As Jeff Fletcher of the Orange Country Register notes, Ohtani did doing one thing that has now not been finished in just about a century. From Fletcher:
He would be the first participant in just about 100 years to start out as a glass and a non-pitcher throughout the first 10 video games of a season. Joe Bush of the Boston Crimson Sox and Clarence Mitchell of the Brooklyn Dodgers did it in 1920.
The remaining time a participant began as a glass and non-pitcher any time in the similar season was once 1988, when New York Yankees pitcher Rick Rhoden began one recreation at DH.
As you have got unquestionably already heard, Ohtani didn’t have a excellent spring coaching, both on the plate or at the mound. He went Four for 32 (.125) with 4 singles and 10 strikeouts as a hitter, and allowed 9 runs (8 earned) in 2 1/3 innings in two Cactus League begins. Ohtani additionally pitched in different minor league facet video games with combined effects.
On Sunday, Ohtani fared a lot better. He confirmed off a mid-to-upper-90s fastball and leaned closely on his slider and splitter as his number one offspeed pitches. Via six innings, he held the A’s to simply 3 runs (all approaching a Matt Chapman house run). In the meantime, Ohtani had notched six strikeouts, issued only one stroll, and yielded simply 3 hits overall.
Remember that, all eyes have been on Ohtani on Sunday afternoon — and he delivered..
Berrios throws first profession shutout
The primary get started of the 2018 season was once a dandy for Twins right-hander Jose Berrios. Berrios tossed his first profession entire recreation and shutout towards the Orioles on Sunday, protecting Baltimore to a double, two singles, and a stroll. He struck out six and threw 107 pitches, one wanting tying his profession top.
Berrios was once superb total remaining season (Three.89 ERA in 145 2/Three innings) and particularly down the stretch, pitching to a three.09 ERA and protecting hitters to a .236/.313/.365 batting line in his ultimate 8 begins and 46 2/Three innings. He carried that luck over to his first get started of 2018, shutting out a excellent hitting O’s lineup.
Williams pulled from no-hitter
For the second one directly day, a beginning pitcher was once pulled from a no-hit bid because of his pitch depend. Twins righty Kyle Gibson . On Sunday, Pirates righty Trevor Williams . His pitch depend: 85.
It is early within the season and groups do not love to push their starters exhausting the primary few occasions out, however there’s the place baseball is at this present day. Starters are throwing fewer and less innings with each and every passing season, and as soon as the lineup turns over the 3rd time, the bullpen will get to paintings.
Smoak has large recreation on bobblehead day
Smoak, who broke out remaining season, was once already off to a excellent get started previous to Sunday. Within the Jays’ first 3 video games, he’d hit .364/.417/.545 with a couple of doubles in 12 at-bats.
Cole lifts off in Astros debut
Gerrit Cole, the Astros’ large offseason addition, made his regular-season debut Sunday. Suffice to mention, he lived as much as the hype through bewildering the Rangers to the track of 7 innings, two hits, an earned run, 11 strikeouts, and 3 walks.
Cole noticeably used his breaking balls extra on Sunday than he did on moderate remaining season. While 42 of his 102 pitches (or just about 42 p.c) have been offspeed pitches on Sunday, in 2017 the ones choices represented about 30 p.c of his pitches. Cole coerced some 9 whiffs on the ones 42 pitches, with an extra 9 going for referred to as strike.
There is not any sense making an excessive amount of of 1 get started. However, given the Astros’ willingness to have their starters junk mail the opposition with breaking balls, there is a actual probability that that is the start of a development somewhat than an aberration.
Harper is helping Nats to brush
Via his first two video games of the brand new season, Bryce Harper had recorded a couple of hits and a stroll. He hadn’t recorded an extra-base hit, then again, and each his runs batted in had come by way of sacrifice fly. Harper’s statline seems to be extra spectacular after a large Sunday.
Harper went 2-for-Four with a stroll, handing over two solo house runs that helped the Nationals outpace the Reds for the collection sweep. Harper’s first homer got here within the 6th inning off Sal Romano.
Later, within the 9th inning, he squared up Reds nearer Raisel Iglesias to make it a 6-Three recreation. That run proved essential, given the Reds scored two within the backside part of the inning on a Phil Gosselin two-run shot.
- Rockies 1B/OF Ian Desmond is daily with a knee damage, reports Nick Groke of the Denver Post. Desmond left Saturday’s recreation with soreness. He’s Four for 10 with a house run at the younger season.
- Mets OF Brandon Nimmo was once scratched from Sunday’s lineup with flu-like signs, the group introduced. Nimmo is two for three with a stroll and a hit-by-pitch to this point this 12 months. He is emerged because the group’s steady middle fielder and leadoff hitter towards righties.
- The Yankees positioned OF Billy McKinney at the 10-day DL with a shoulder damage, the membership introduced. He suffered the damage crashing into the outfield wall Saturday. 3B Miguel Andujar was once referred to as as much as fill the roster spot.